Mobile Meteor

Be sure to check out my new site: Mobile Meteor!

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Jazushi

Tonight we braved the rain and returned to our old neighborhood. Let me put this another way... Tonight I stood under a feminine umbrella, braving the taunts of Aussie blokes, as I hailed a cab to take us to a neighborhood we used to know but has since changed dramatically.

The restaurant we went to has not changed much since we lived down the street from it. Except I think they've changed the oil in their fryer since then. The quality has not changed, that's for sure. That's for damn sure. We enjoyed beef tataki, sushi, sashimi, beetroot salad, etc.

The music was great too. The Freefall Jazz Duo played - and played very well - while we ate. Is it a rite of induction for jazz players to be shaved bald? Is Ms Spears looking into jazz?

The food at Jazushi had me thinking of nothing but the food at Jazushi, but the music brought back other memories... some really great memories of free music in New York.
I'll have to leave out music for music's sake, like Broadway shows and concerts. This is more spontaneous music experiences:

1. The Duplex in Greenwich Village. I popped down here in 1999 with my brother Pat and his fiance Jen (now wife) after a meal. They didn't know it was a gay piano bar. The rainbow flag draped over the piano should have been a clear sign. The guys singing show tunes should have been another. Pat got it after his second gin & tonic while I was up doing my best Nancy Sinatra. (Yes I'm confident.)

2. Arthur's Tavern in Greenwich Village - Frankie Paris & Cold Sweat. I have countless memories from this repeat event, but there are some real gems... Bringing Paul Spoonhower over, jamming with Jason Sauser, and Frankie Paris passing the mic to sing for a bit since he recognized me.

3. Scary Canary in Sydney CBD - some DJ. For me this was impromptu. Fantastic music just a block away, but I had to go home to bed before it finished. Dana forgot her keys and was trying to wake me with the buzzer when my other Scary Canary friends were walking by. They gave her protection and shelter until Sunday.

3. The Duplex in Greenwich Village. Yep, again. In 2003 we swung by, this time with Chris and Jan as well as Pat & Jen. I sung another diddy, but in my memory the greatest moment was Chris and Pat trying to get the bartender to put the Mets games on TV.

No comments: