Mobile Meteor

Be sure to check out my new site: Mobile Meteor!

Monday, February 19, 2007

Aussies vs Kiwis in Federation Valley


Once a bunch of Kiwis
Camped beside a music fest
Under the shade of a Coolabah tree
And they bowled and they batted while the Aussies sent their wickets down
They lost the Anzac Bisquit Trophy!


That'll make as much sense to my American friends and family as the original lyrics do. Yes, yes, Saturday was all about Centennial Park and a solid one-dayer. After a most interesting cab ride to the grounds, Glenn, Dana and I hiked 30 minutes into the vast parklands with about 80 kilos of ice, beer and snags. We found refuge under a large tree in which an old tennis ball lived. The Good Vibrations outdoor concert was just next door, and we fueled up for a grueling five-hour match as hundreds of concert-goers streamed before us.

The stream continued as the game went on, so we made it a point to draft our guests into a field position. I forget the exact name of the position but it's the one that places the fielder directly under a falling cricket ball.

The match: Nine on nine. Kiwis versus the Aussies, with each side picking up one Seppo. I played for the Aussies, Dana the Kiwis. The Australians also had a Canuck in Kelly. Simon covered a couple of continents. It was a close match but the Aussies came up in front. Dana fielded well for our 7th State friends*, despite being given a position created just for her! I'm only kidding. Dana did field very well, even putting her beverage down once! I too turned a few heads. It appears I share some of the skills of my brother, Ricky Ponting. A second after I took this shot, I caught Glenn's pop-up. It was luck, but some of our friends really can play. I won't name names because if I left someone off the list because he got a duck (0) then Glenn he might get upset.

All these Glenns could get confusing. Sorry this is Glenn, and this is Glenn. Hope that helps.

The Aussies did win, and unfortunately there was some Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi, but thankfully not too much. Sam suffered from an injury after his face had a mid-field collision with my shoulder. He toughed it out and stayed on the field. Good onya Sam! And sorry.

After the cricket it was barbie time. And time for B-Rad to give me sexy. And time for Simon and I to go on a long road trip to replenish supplies so that we could continue on until we heard the Beastie Boys wrapping up. Kudos to Cory for planning.

Cricket in Centennial Park. Sport, food, old friends and new. It was a great day. It was such a great day that Dana, Glenn, Glenn, Simon and I gathered that night, immediately after leaving the park, to reminisce. And to marvel at Simon's sock tan line.

All photos here.



*We were playing in Federation Valley, where Australian Federation was founded just over 100 years ago. New Zealand was very close to signing up as a state but pulled out in the minute. Maybe they should have had a cricket match to determine sovereignty.

No comments: