Mobile Meteor

Be sure to check out my new site: Mobile Meteor!

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Cask Ale At Nag's Head

On the first Friday of every month, The Nag's Head in Glebe offers three casks of real ale, brewed by Matt Donelan. of St Peter's Brewery. I make it there nearly every month. Real ale comes from a hand pump or gravity pour, is not carbonated and is ideally served at cellar temperature. It's hard to find real ale in Sydney, but this is one place you can't miss. The beer is craft brewed by a local and tasty, though the serving temperature is a bit low... presumably to compensate for Sydney heat. But when all three casks are emptied in one night, temperature shouldn't be a huge problem. Whatever, you should go if you can. It helps if you live in the Southern Hemisphere. A group of us headed over after work - that's Tim, Glenn and David in the tunnel photo - and met up with other good mates, some of whom are from Aussiehomebrewer.com, like Paul, Lindsay and Melanie. That's me in the BeerAdvocate shirt, proving that supporters of two different beer websites can coexist in the same space at the same time.

All photos here.

3 comments:

Georgecamra said...

I am compiling a web guide to Real Ale all over the world, as a CAMRA initiative. I have very little information so far about Australia. I am pleased to see that the Nag's Head does real ale on the first Friday of every month. Does anyone know of any other pubs or brewers with the real thing?

See our pages at www.outinncheshire.co.uk and click on the globe.

Denis Hurley said...

Hi Georgecamra,


This post is from about 2.5 years ago and, from what I've heard, cask ale night at the Nag's Head is no more. Sadly (very sadly), I've moved back to NY, so I cannot confirm this for myself. Try beeradvocate.com

Cheers!
Denis

Anonymous said...

I asked the owner and can confirm that it is not currently running. That said it wouldn't do any harm to keep asking them as you never know, maybe they can start it up again.