Mobile Meteor

Be sure to check out my new site: Mobile Meteor!

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

My Surprise Birthday Party

I never thought I would be the surprisee of a surprise party, but I found myself in that situation this past Saturday afternoon. My first instinct was to take a photo of the surprisers (pictured to the left), my second instinct was to check my fly (it was closed - not pictured).

There were a number of organizers and planners of this party - such as Dana, her parental units, my parental units, various siblings, and more - and I can't believe how well they put it together. Somehow, while traveling right by my side though Australia, Singapore and Australia, Dana put the pieces together for a killer party jut 10 days after we landed. For a little while there, I did think Dana was up to something... but I assumed she was just moonlighting as an assassin. No one could believe that I was actually surprised, but honestly, if I knew about the party, I would have shaved! (Apologies to those who attended the party and heard that joke up to three times now. You have to forgive me for repeating it... since I had no idea about the party, I made it up on the spot... or did I? Dah-dah-dahhhhhh!)

My brother Chris and his family were visiting from South Carolina, and for some reason I didn't note the absence of our parents, his wife or his three children from our parents' house in Jackson, New Jersey. Chris and I went to lunch together before driving up to Dana's mother's house in South Amboy to bring her down to Jackson. I didn't even realize that Susette's house number is 30, which must mean that they have been planning this party for years, while they were still building the development!

Dana took us to the clubhouse to say a quick hello to Susette and Marvin... and this was the first time I sensed I was missing something. I checked my pockets and still had my wallet, and that was about the time I opened the door and saw 50 smiling faces looking back at me. Well, they were not actually smiling. Instead each face was contorted, frozen for a moment in a different point of the word "surprise".

My 30th birthday was actually on the 9th, when Dana and I were in Koblenz, Germany, but it was fantastic to be able to celebrate it with family: cousins, aunts, uncles, brothers, nieces, nephews, and all of the people from Dana's who will soon be my family too. We had plenty of food, drink and laughs. A big thanks to everyone who helped make it happen and to everyone who gave up a Saturday afternoon/evening in July to celebrate the first 1/3 of my life. Also, a big happy 30th birthday to my cousin Brian, whose special day was just two days after the party. We've come a long way since Ocean City, Brian!

There are a few more pictures here, but not many. I was too confused and busy saying hello to get enough photos. Don't worry, I'll be more prepared next year, for my surprise 31st birthday party.

No comments: