Mobile Meteor

Be sure to check out my new site: Mobile Meteor!

Monday, August 06, 2007

Montepulciano, Italy

Montepulciano was the last small Tuscan city we visited. With its old city walls, tall Communal Palace and little guy poised to hit a bell, it is the quintessential Tuscan city. This town was also founded by the Etruscans, and ancient wine caves snake through the hill underneath. The wine of the surrounding region, especially the Vino Nobile, is worth multiple tastings. We walked around the city and had lunch at La Grotta, across from San Biagio, before hoofing it to the center of town for some sight-seeing.

View it here in high definition.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And does Montepulciano mean "fertile mountain," "pleasant mountain," or what? I'm crazy about etymological derivations of place names. The town has been around since about A. D. 715, but it didn't start out being called Montepulciano. That makes me wonder why the name was changed and what it means.

Yeah, I know, I'm crazy.

Gorgeous pix, BTW. Makes me want to go there, even though I have a long-standing general disdain for all things Italian -- except the cuisine, of course. :^)

ColoradoBobs

Anonymous said...

I am a huge fan of Montepulciano wines. This would be an ideal stop for a drunk like myself.