Mobile Meteor

Be sure to check out my new site: Mobile Meteor!

Saturday, November 10, 2007

The Empire State Building

Last night I snapped a couple of interesting shots of the Empire State Building. It was a wet, chilly night, and the clouds clung to the top of the city's skyscrapers. The architectural icon was illuminated yellow in honor of the 10th anniversary of "The Lion King" on Broadway. While that's kind of lame, the building looked beautiful. The lighting changes frequently, for holidays, special events or seasons. While on the topic, I'll add another photo of the Empire State Building. This is in my banner above. I took it back in August.

A few interesting facts about the top of the skyscraper:

  • It was completed in 1931.
  • It's height is 381m (1,250 ft).
  • The dome on which the antennas now stand was meant to be a docking station for zeppelins. Unfortunately, the updraft through the building was too great and each attempt at docking resulted in a near-crash.
  • The broadcasting antennas were added in 1951.
Obviously, there are a lot more interesting facts about the Empire State Building, but I decided to limit myself to facts about the very top.

No comments: