Mobile Meteor

Be sure to check out my new site: Mobile Meteor!

Sunday, October 14, 2007

A Trip Down South - Philadelphia

From my parents' house we set off for Philadelphia. Dana's aunts have an apartment there, and they were kind enough to let us stay there. I had not been to Philly since I was a young boy. We spent the day brushing up on our American history and seeing old bells and the night enjoying excellent food and beverages. It felt a bit like a school trip with the bonus of beer at the end of the day. And the beer was excellent. My pick would be Monk's: a cozy restaurant with phenomenal Belgian beers to go with the Belgian fare. I had rabbit cooked in Gueuze.

I won't try to sum up all of the American history I re-learned from the knowledgeable National Historic Park rangers, but I will say that it's a lot more complicated than "they declared independence, rang a bell, fought, and wrote the Constitution." It was interesting to hear the rangers give their spin on history, emphasizing one thing or another based on if they preferred Jefferson or Adams. They felt so strongly about it that you would have thought they were talking about Bush and Gore!

Here are some photos from Philly. Unfortunately I did not get a snap of the man drinking a Starbucks coffee while going for a ride in a horse-and-buggy. I did get a shot of Rubber Band Man.

No comments: