Mobile Meteor

Be sure to check out my new site: Mobile Meteor!

Monday, September 03, 2007

Feral Cat Stew & A Giant Fence

I've been back in the States for over a month now, and from time to time I get to wondering what's going on back in Australia. Thankfully, the series of tubes makes it easy for me to find out.

Some Aussies are trying a different way to deal with their feral cat problem, and some Americans are getting outraged by it. Come on, people, can someone tell me why it's OK to eat pig and cattle but not OK to eat cat? Just to stir you up a bit more, one of the things I miss most about Australia is eating kangaroo meat.

Also crossing international boundaries is President Bush. To the disdain of millions of Sydneysiders, the Australian government has built a 3 mile long fence around much of the city to keep demonstrators out while he visits for the APEC summit. The impact on transportation is so great that this coming Friday has been declared a public holiday. Sucks for my friend Ian, whose wife is expecting to deliver a baby that very same day. Ian, Agamemnon is a good name and all, but also consider Apec in honor of the occasion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yup - APEC is utter pus.

In fact, I've started logging what I'm seeing each day of APEC (which is tough now that I'm offline at home!!) on my blog.

It's already just absurd and the damn conference hasn't even started.

Anyway...there's only one problem with eating feral cats that I can see and that's the fact that they're seriously dirty. Hygiene is not something big on the radar of most feral cats, so it must be hard to get a lot of clean meat off the little buggers.

And yet some of them are reportedly not all that little. A family friend once told me they had gone out 'roo shooting and spotted a feral cat they reckon was as big as a panther. And though they may have been exaggerating, it's not all that unlikely either...

smh.com.au big feral cat story

news.com.au big feral cat story