Mobile Meteor

Be sure to check out my new site: Mobile Meteor!

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Deine Karte Bitte Nehmen!

I had a rather unpleasant experience the other day here in Germany. I have found nearly every German to be extremely pleasant and helpful, so the rude encounter was even more of a surprise. I went to get cash out of a bank, and the teller asked if I wanted to be helped in German or English. Of course I preferred English... and the teller proceeded to shout every request and statement at me. "Please take your card!" and "One moment please!" Thankfully the transaction was a quick one. It was an automated teller machine, but still, do they need to keep the exclamation points after every statement just to make it feel like a more authentic German experience? I took my money and the machine was already shouting at the next customer, "Deine Karte bitte einsetzen!"

It was a bit like our one bad experience in New Zealand.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Germany was one of the friendliest places I have been to. I have actually been dying to get back to Berlin. They get a bad rap according to Italy and France because the Germans invade for their 3 month holidays. But I found them to be really friendly and really helpful.

Why these bizarre little occurrences always happen to you two? It's certainly funny though.