Mobile Meteor

Be sure to check out my new site: Mobile Meteor!

Friday, January 05, 2007

BA Pub Crawl - Sydney

This past Thursday I was very happy that I had the foresight to take the day off before Wednesday night even began. Beer gurus Todd and Candice Alstrom were at the tail end of their visit to Australia and ready for a good night. We started off at The Australian Heritage Hotel (of course) for some Little Critters and pizza while we got aquainted with those folks we knew online but had never met in person. Michael from Matilda Bay also had some rare goodies and we'll be looking for those at the bottlo soon. Gotta love The Aussie. It's also my ma's favourite pub in Sydney.

Next stop was The Glenmore, just up the road. Great views, terrible beer. It's a good spot because they haven't really bothered to update it very much. Quick stop then on to the Lord Nelson! If you've had their recently bottled beers, you're probably as disappointed as me, but the brews are much better fresh on tap. Lots of laughs and good stories at the old pub before finding the next two stops were closed! The Palisade Hotel, a fantastic old pub on top of the hill, and The Hero of Waterloo, probably the best true old Sydney pub, closed their doors before 11... on a Wednesday! Unheard of.

Bidding adieu to Hero we made our way down to George St, checking the locked doors of Harbour View Hotel before settling into The Mercantile... and The Orient after that. Publess yet again, we were forced into the depths of Hell - Jackson's on George. I was proud to say that I had never set foot into this cesspool with an ego, but I passed the stinking gates on Wednesday night. My eyes opened in wonder at the Chimay on tap but were quickly snapped back to the stinking gates. No access for Mr Todd Alstrom. Apparantly his shorts were not in season and the bouncer wasn't having any of it. I tried to reason with the gentleman, politely pointing out that it's a Wednesday night, the pub wasn't crowded, we would spend a lot of money at the bar, and Todd's shorts were hot and sexy. The bouncer asked me if he had to call security. I asked him if security would be needed for a second opinion on whether or not he was an idiot and a monkey. We left.

Last stop: Trump's on King Street, just two blocks from where I live! Hey, it may be a seedy underground 24-hour bar but they serve Little Critters and admired Todd's buttocks. Not really about the buttocks, but they DID have Critters. A few dropped off along the way, but my night wrapped up around 4AM. All photos here. Check out the previous week's Redoak gathering here.

Sidenote: Todd and Candice are fantastic houseguests. Not only are they great fun to hang out with but they clean up well after themselves. Like cats. Candice, I do wish we had time for you to bake something for us. Next time.

No comments: