Mobile Meteor

Be sure to check out my new site: Mobile Meteor!

Friday, June 09, 2006

Response Honk


Here in Sydney I live on a major road in the CBD (Central Business District) and for years I lived on a very busy road in Brooklyn: Flatbush Avenue. I've decided that the 2nd human habit I loathe most in the world* is the response honk. If you've been in a car in a city, you know what it is. One person hits the horn for whatever reason - warning, surprise, anger - and the driver at whom the honk was directed responds with another honk! This second honk clearly serves no purpose, it's just like a little shout back at the first car. Then, sometimes, you get a response to the response honk... and another response... and soon it's as if the two cars are bickering. It makes me think of an old Disney cartoon I used to watch on channel 31 of Cablevision. The cartoon was narrated in a typical 50s style, explaining how when Goofy got behind the wheel of a car he turned into an animal. This struck me at a young age: seeing Goofy, clearly not an animal, become one once operating an automobile. This could be part of the reason why I hate cars and driving. Anyway, there are lots of Goofies around with their response honks. I wish these people could understand how their honk is portrayed. I would like to see response-honkers response-honking in everyday life. A response-honker is in line at the store and someone bumps into him/her, so s/he shouts "AGH!" at the other person. The other person, if also a response-honker, shouts back "AGH!" And so it continues for a bit until a clerk asks if anyone is making a cash purchase (or, in the holiday season, an exchange).
*The human habit I loathe foremost is when people laugh for a reason other than joy, amusement, happiness or even surprise. As in a malicious or sarcastic laugh.

No comments: