Mobile Meteor

Be sure to check out my new site: Mobile Meteor!

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Rainbow Roll


Tonight I found myself drinking green tea and watching sumo wrestling while I waited for my sushi takeaway. There had been some confusion when I ordered the rainbow roll over the phone. This place has quite good sushi, but the selection was limited until they recently started offering special rolls. After placing my order with three different people as the phone was passed from one confused waitress to the next, I started to think that maybe these rolls aren't available on Tuesdays. But the last person I spoke with assured me that they could make it. Fifteen minutes later I found myself with my tea and sumo, watching the sushi chef looking up how to make a rainbow roll on the Internet. I think this kind of triggered a moment. All of a sudden I became fully aware of my surroundings:


  • This Japanese restaurant used to be a Spanish tapas restaurant, as is clear by the decor.
  • One of the sumo wrestlers on the TV is Caucasian.
  • The song playing is Hotel California by the Gypsy Kings.

So a Spanish-speaking band is singing an American song while a white guy is sumo wrestling on a TV in a Japanese restaurant that used to be Spanish. And the sushi chef is looking up my rainbow roll on the Internet.

No comments: