Mobile Meteor

Be sure to check out my new site: Mobile Meteor!

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Banksy in NY


A couple of year ago I read an article in The New Yorker about an artist named Banksy. The graffiti artist sounded very interesting, and the publication came just a week after I discovered some beautiful graffiti in Melbourne, Australia. Sorry, ma, I know you hate graffiti, but this is different from most of the stuff you despised in the Bronx.

Supposedly, "no one" knows who Banksy is. He started in London, probably, with his anti establishment works around the city. His were far more sophisticated than that of Neck Face, another tagger I noticed in both Sydney and Brooklyn. Banksy's artwork was politically charged, especially when he traveled to other parts of the world, such as a mural of a little girl patting down an armed guard, painted on a wall in the West Bank.

Dana and I happened by a Banksy exhibit in Southampton after attending a wedding. The irony of a young, British graffiti artist displaying his work in a posh beach town is almost painful. Still, his work was sharp and relevant.

This brings us to autumn in New York. After several sightings of large, Banksy-ish murals going up on the sides of buildings in Manhattan, people start to speculate if Banksy's coming to NY. The answer: yes. But these murals were not done by Banksy himself. Instead, Banksy hired (or commissioned) a local artist r nicholas kuszyk from Williamsburg to put up four rat-themed artworks in anticipation of his exhibit in Greenwich Village.

The Village Pet Store and Charcoal Grill is unlike anything I had seen by Banksy. Word on the street is that someone told him, "New Yorkers don't car about art, they care about their pets." He took it and ran with it, using the pet theme to lampoon American consumerism. What's more, I took the Disney-like simplicity to indicate that he does not think New Yorkers can handle anything too complicated. The exhibit is very amusing, but I think the joke is on us.

But what do I know? I'm no art critic.

If you're looking for a laugh, more shots here on Picasa and here on Facebook.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey that was a bit harsh on Neckface, at least he has an original style unlike Banksy...Blek Le rat is an older Banksy without a PR team.

Don't get me wrong I admire Banksy too but respect the Neckface

haha

Denis Hurley said...

Anonymous, you have a point. I was ignoring his other work (besides the simple tags).

More on Neck Face:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neck_Face

and an interesting article here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/collective/A4090349

Anonymous said...

Actually Banksy started in BRISTOL, not London. If you want to see the most Banksy street art, you should visit Bristol.